Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Welcome

I created this blog as an instrument of what I have encountered in the world of veterinary medicine as a proud vet student. Comments and suggestions are welcome here at;

sweet_daffodil90@yahoo.co.uk

Regards,
Aina Meducci 2012

Disclaimer

The following blog posts is not genuinely from my research but through readings and citation from trusted website. I do not own any of the copyright and therefore you may use it at your own risk

SINCE I AM NOT A VETERINARIAN YET, THEREFORE I CAN'T CONSULT ANY MEDICAL ADVICE TO YOU AND YOUR PETS! EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!.

Happy reading!
Post Icon

Binturong


Have you ever seen this animal?


Recently during my voluntary trip to Zoo Melaka, I was assigned to make a report about clinic facilities in Zoo Melaka, and I came across this animal in a quaranine area. Frankly, I never met this animal before. She was asleep when I came to her cage, and without knowing its behavior, I touched her fur. She jumped from sleep and stared at me and come out with this high-pitched hissing voice. I was so surprise that my knees were shaking. So moral of the story, if you don't know the animal, dont put your finger on it.

Later I made some research about her.

***************************************************
BINTURONG



The Binturong (Arctictis binturong) which the Malay name for Bearcat is a species of the family Viverridae, which includes civets and ganets. It is the only member of the genus. The binturong is not a bear. They can be found in the dense forest regions of India and Indochina and down through Indonesia, Thailnad, Malaysia, Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Burma and Palawan.

Physical characteristics
  • Measure 2-3 feet in length (half of the length is tail)
  • Covered in black, coarse hair with a speckled gray hair and long white whiskers
  • Short legs, bear-like walk
  • Weight up to 30 pound
Behavior
  • Climb trees and leaps from branch to branch
  • Use tail and claws to cling while searching for food
  • Can rotate its hind legs backwards so that its claws still have a grip when climbing down a tree head first
  • Nocturnal (active in night)
  • Use tail for communication
  • Hissing voice

Diet
  • Omnivor. But can be carnivore sometimes

Reproduction
  • Estrus cycle: 81 days
  • Gestation: 91 days
  • Sexual maturation: female-30.4 months male-27.7 months
  • Fertility: 15 years of age
  • Lifespan: up to 20 years

Sources: Wikipedia-Binturong, Honolulu zoo, http://itech.pjc.edu/sctag/binturong/Binturong.htm

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment